Tea Time Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Tea for Two

Ahhh, Saturday mornings. As Norah Jones so aptly put it, "The sun just slipped its glow below my door, and I can't hide beneath my sheets." The weather is a sunny fourty degrees, but the weather man says it feels like thirty, and I would be inclined to agree with him. This morning desperately calls for a steaming bowl of cheese grits and a sweet cup of Peach and Ginger Tea from the Olde English Tea Room & Gift Shoppe in Wake Forest, North Carolina.
This past September, as a surprise during my visit, my best friend took me for tea at the Olde English Tea Room after a fun morning of exploring the quaint downtown area of Wake Forest. There is nothing like a hearty afternoon tea after a morning of strenuous window shopping.
I am currently working on a counted cross stitch that reads, "While the pot boils...friendship blossoms." How true is this statement? Tea for one is a good thing, but tea for two is even better, especially when you are with a friend you haven't seen for some time. My friend and I have know each other a little over ten years now. We have gone from being roommates to living in different countries, and now just different states. Of course, we talk on the telephone and email each other, but nothing beats sitting across the table from one another and talking face-to-face. Not to mention that comfort, a relaxed atmosphere, a full belly and beautiful surroundings also do wonders for conversation.
The room in which we were seated was decorated in a Victorian style with dark woods and a dark green wall paper. It had a semi-private feel, and there were windows that flanked the doorway that allowed a view into the adjacent room. A classic afternoon tea is offered daily, along with lunch and dessert options as well, and there are a variety of special occasion teas that are available with reservations, and when party size requirements are met. If you are looking for a bit of a fancy affair, hats, gloves, and strings of beads are available on-site and are at your disposal. The gift shop carries a small collection of china pieces, and if you enjoyed the tea you were served in the dining room, you can pick up some to take home with you, as I did with my Peach and Ginger tea.
Now, I don't feel that I can fairly review this tea room for a few reasons. For one, I have only visited once, and at the time of my visit, my attention was not focused on my perception of the tea room itself. Also, since my visit was in September, I have forgotten details pertinent in writing a review. And finally, whatever my opinion of this tea room, it only improves based on the fact that I was there catching up with an old friend. Can any of you relate?
All in all, I can say that I would go back for another visit. If you feel the same, here's their info:

Olde English Tea Room & Gift Shoppe
219 South White Street
Wake Forest, NC
919-556-6910
http://oldeenglishtearoom.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? Please feel free to comment.