Tea Time Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Rose Garden Tea Room - Newberry, S.C.

I thought it only fitting to open with a review of the tea room from my hometown.

The Rose Garden Tea Room
1104 Caldwell Street
Newberry, SC 29108
803-276-1500

As you enter through the old wooden doors of The Lamplighter Gallery and Rose Garden Tea Room, you are immediately greeted with the faint sounds of piano music and a sense of peace and tranquility. This is the only tea room in the city of Newberry, and is situated just off of Main Street in the historic part of town. It is owned and operated by Donny and Beverley Ringer, a couple who embody southern hospitality.
The Rose Garden Tea Room is located in the back of the building, and you have to travel through The Lamplighter Gallery store to get there. This is not a bother, however, since I love to linger among the beautiful linens, tea accessories, stationary, and other wares they have to offer. Upon reaching the tea room, you take your seat and hear about the specials of the day. The tables are elegantly and simply set, with each tea cup individual in its pattern. The cups, plates, and silverware are set upon a glass tabletop which protects the lovely white linen and lace table cloths. As you look over the menu, you quickly note the extensive selection of teas.
Now, if you have come to the Rose Garden to have a traditional tea, I am afraid that you will be disappointed. Their food offerings fall into the lunch category of soups, salads, and sandwiches, and your meal can be made up of varying combinations of the three - with or without dessert. A personal pot of loose leaf tea comes with each meal, and honey and raw sugar are both available.
Every time I have dined at the Rose Garden, the food has been absolutely wonderful, and the tea just as delightful. I particularly like their chicken salad and date-walnut pie. The service is warm and friendly, and the atmosphere so calm and serene, it makes you want to stay all day. Every tea on their menu is also available for purchase, as well as many different varieties of bagged and pre-made teas.
The Lamplighter Gallery and Rose Garden Tea Room is one of my favorite places to visit in Newberry. Unfortunately, the last time I visited, I was told that they were changing their Tea Room hours to Saturdays only, and only with the reservation of a group of 12 or more. Pity. Everyone I knew that visited there once always went back again.

I give this tea room:

2 comments:

  1. I love the post. It almost brings me into the moment. I now feel like I have been there before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your lovely tea blog. I am so glad we were able to have lunch and a pot of tea at the Rose Garden Tea Room a couple of years ago as we were traveling from Kentucky to South Carolina. The owners were very gracious hosts and I loved shopping in the gift shop. Sorry to hear they are going to Saturday group service only. So many tea rooms are reducing hours or closing.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts? Please feel free to comment.